Adelaide  08 8445 6300
1300 88 FIRE
1300 88 34 73
Sales, service and maintenance of all fire safety equipment

Frequently Ask Questions

Q: Why  should we use Fire System Services?

A: Fire System Services is a totally Australian owned and independently run company. Unlike some of our large opposition run companies which are owned by overseas companies. This means finances are taken out of Australia and distributed abroad.   
ALL finances raised from Fire System Services stays with in Australia, which results in benefiting Australians.       

Q: Where are you situated?

A: In Adelaide, South Australia. The day to day maintenance, service & sales operations are performed by our mobile team of capable Customer Service Technicians who will personally visit your premises. Our office and workshop facilities are located at our street address in Wingfield.

Q: Geographically, what areas do you service?

A: Adelaide CBD & Greater Metropolitan Areas, Gawler Belt, Adelaide Hills, Lower Barossa Valley, South Coast & Fleurieu Peninsula.

Q: Do you sell wholesale to the public?

A: We are not wholesalers. However, we offer discounts on the recommended retail price for minimum quantities purchased of certain items of fire equipment. We also offer a discounted rate on regular six monthly maintenance for customers with multiple sites, containing more than 50 items of fire equipment per site, who enter into a Customer Service Agreement with Fire System Services.

Q: Do you sell second hand equipment?

A: No.

Q: What are your terms of payment? What methods of payment do you accept?

A: Unless otherwise agreed in writing with Fire System Services, our Terms of Payment for all goods and services is strictly COD/Nett Cash. Should you require an account, please contact us to obtain a Credit Application. Our Terms of Accounts are payable fourteen (14) days from the date of invoice.

We accept payment by Visa, Mastercard, Cheque, Money Order, Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or Direct Deposit to our bank account.

Please contact us to obtain details of our Bank Account details for payment by EFT or Direct Deposit.

Credit card details can be faxed to us or provided over the phone. For security reasons DO NOT send your credit card details via email!

Q: What are my obligations? Do I need to have a fire extinguisher in my premises?

A: Commercial premises or public meeting places need to comply with Australian Standards 2444 as governed by Regulations for the Building Code of Australia and/or the Occupational Health and Safety Welfare Act SA. This means that at least one fire extinguisher is required to be located within your premises. Extinguishers are required to reach every 15 walkable metres for Class A fires (paper, wood, textiles) and every 20 walkable metres for Class E fires (electrical). There are no requirements for private dwellings, unless there is a requirement under the conditions of an approved Development Application for the dwelling.

Q: What about commercial vehicles?

A: Depending on the fire hazard of the cargo being carried, Australian Standard 2444 section 5.4 specifies that every fire extinguisher for use in commercial vehicles shall be of a type fitted fitted with a hose to assist in gaining access to awkward locations & have a minium fire rating of 1A:10B:(E).

Q: I have fire hose reels installed in my building, do I still need fire extinguishers for class A fire hazards (paper, wood, textiles)?

A: Yes, Australian Standards 2444 was revised in 2001, previously you did not need to provide additional extinguishers for Class A fire hazards. Under the revised Aust Standards 2444 section 4.2 Class A fire risks, if your building has a class A fire risk in what ever quantity, fire extinguishers with a class A fire rating need to be provided. In addition to this the travel distance from ANY point to the nearest extinguisher shall not be greater than 15 metres.

Q: Which type of fire extinguisher is required?

Fire Extinguisher Guide
A: Due to the complexity of fires today, there are over six (6) different type of fire extinguishers available for various situations. Taking into account the size of a building and the products stored within, a combination of multiple types of portable fire extinguishers is not unheard of. We recommend that you seek expert advice with a local fire safety service provider or call our office.

Q: Does my fire safety equipment need to be maintained?

Fire Extinguisher Servicing
A: Commercial premises or public meeting places need to comply with Australian Standards 1851 as governed by Regulations for the Building Code of Australia and/or the Occupational Health and Safety Welfare Act SA. This means that fire fighting equipment such as: fire extinguishers, fire hose reels, fire blankets etc., are required to be inspected and certified on a regular six monthly basis in accordance with relevant Australian Standards. Owners/occupiers of buildings may also be required by the local council to provide evidence that fire equipment has been supplied and/or maintained in accordance with relevant Australian Standards where the site is the subject of a development consent. Furthermore, your Insurer may also require evidence that regular maintenance has been carried out. With the exception of Smoke Detection, there are no requirements for private dwellings.


Q: What are the requirements for smoke detection in domestic households?

A: Smoke Alarms

  • The installation of smoke alarms is compulsory in South Australia. The type of smoke alarm you need depends on when you first owned your home.
  • Home owned before 1 February 1998, a replaceable battery powered alarm is required.
  • Homes purchased on or after 1 February 1998, 240 volt mains powered or a ten year life non-replaceable, non-removable permanently connected battery powered is required.
  • Homes built on or after 1 January 1995 a 240 volt mains powered smoke alarm is required.
  • For further information phone 8204 3611 or visit the Metropolitan Fire Service website.

Q: How can I tell when my fire safety equipment (fire extinguishers) was last inspected and certified?

A: You can check this by locating the yellow maintenance tag (as shown in the above picture) attached to your fire fighting equipment, a numeric symbol is marked in the month & year for each inspection and certification.

Q: What do the numeric symbols stand for?

Number 1 = six monthly inspection
Number 2 = yearly inspection
Number 3 = no longer used as to AS1851 - 2005
Number 4 = five yearly inspection (pressure testing)
Number 5 = after use service

Q: If my fire extinguisher has been partially discharged and a small amount of extinguishant has been used, do I need to have the extinguisher refilled?

A: Yes, all fire extinguishers must be refilled once they have been discharged. Fire extinguishers are designed to discharge their propellant gas once the valve stem has been pushed. Even if you only use a small amount of extinguishant the extinguisher will still degas. This is so you always know that the extinguisher is not half full when put back in place.

Dangers of not recharging

Q: How long do exit and emergency lights have to illuminate for in back up battery mode?

A: In accordance with Australian Standards 2293.2 exit emergency lights must illuminate for a minimum of 90 minutes on battery backup.

Q: Are service providers law enforcement officers?

Fire Extinguisher Scams

A: Definitely not! Unfortunately, some operators in the fire industry give a false impression that they represent an elite Government task force. The fact is, we Service Providers are only that - a Service Provider!! All work should be carried out in accordance with Australian Standards as relevant and a Certificate of Inspection for all work carried out should be provided by that Service Provider. Should you experience heavy-handed tactics from any employee or representative of any Service Provider, we strongly recommend you find another provider listed in the Yellow Pages Directory.

Q: I have been advised that the Australian Standards for maintenance of fire equipment has changed?

A: Yes, in December 2012 the previous versions of Australian Standard 1851 Maintenance of Fire Protection Equipment Parts 1 - 16 were superceded, revised & consolidated into one standard AS1851-2012 Maintenance of Fire Protection Systems and Equipment.  We suggest you contact your local service provider to discuss how these changes may effect you.

Q: What payment methods are available?

Mail your Cheque, Money Order, Visa or Mastercard details to our Postal Address.

Credit Card
Telephone, Fax or Post your Visa or Mastercard details to us.

EFT or Direct Deposit
Please contact us by phone, fax or email to obtain our Bank Account Details

Q: Is there a credit application available?

Should you require an account, please click here for a copy of our Credit Application and Trading Terms.